The Next POTLUCK will be October 14th at The Train Station – 6:30
train station. Please join us for networking, conversation, good food, and a presentation from Hallie Taylor of the library. Hallie Taylor will give a presentation about libraries in general and our project in particular. Interested in establishing as many sustainable elements as they can into the new library, including building design and energy sources as well as community garden and native plant landscaping.
Bag It will be in Byrd 221 at 8pm on Oct 21st. If you bring plastic bags to recycle, you will receive free popcorn. If you bring your reusable bags, you will also receive free popcorn. The movie showing is free and put on by SEO for Bag It. This is our kickstarter for a plastic-free campus campaign. We are eliminating plastic bags this semester and working on other “disposables” afterwards.
Energy Efficiency News:
WV Sierra Club volunteers joined local residents at the WV Public Service Commission’s hearings in Flatwoods, Morgantown, and Shepherdstown to push for lower electric bills and emphasize the need for more energy efficiency programs. There is a big settlement in the American Electric Power transfer of the Mitchell Power Station which created greater investments in energy efficiency programs. In Harrison County, the Clarksburg Exponent put out a great article on the energy audits county buildings will receive by the WV E3 Program that happened as a result of volunteers engaging the county commission. In Preston County, the newly formed Preston Energy Savers have planned four energy savers workshops which will be held between October 22nd – 29th. Good things are happening!
If you haven’t signed it yet, I encourage you to sign this petition urging Governor Tomblin to become an advocate for energy efficiency – which is a key piece of the WV Sierra Club strategy to win greater efficiency in WV.
FirstEnergy (Mon Power & Potomac Edison)
American Electric Power (Appalachian Power & Wheeling Power):
Energy Efficiency in WV
Other Interesting Articles
Public Service Commission Case Updates:
- American Electric Power Rate Increase Case (14-1152-E-PC)
— Various Technical Filings
- FirstEnergy Rate Increase Case (14-0702-E-PC)
— Letter of Protest from Pamela Gearhart, A. Holcumb, Nathan Hedrick, Steven Runfola, Robert Dusing & Treena Moran, Christina Hawbaker, Richard Perry, Kermit Hoffman, Sharon L. Hott, Barbara Bittner, Teresa Soley, Shannon Spencer, & Tina Ladd, Ericka Twigg, Richard Bailey
— Various Technical Filings
- American Electric Power’s Mitchell Plant Transfer Case (14-0546-E-PC)
- Candidate Public Forum, Martinsburg, October 15th, Location TBD
- WV Environmental Council Conference, Oct 17th – 19th, Cedar Lakes Conference Center, Website
- PSC Hearing on the Mitchell Transfer Settlement Agreement, Oct 21st, Charleston, Background
- Preston County Home Energy Savings Workshop, Oct 22nd, Bruceton Mills
- Preston County Home Energy Savings Workshop, Oct 24th, Kingwood
- Constructing Change, Energy Efficient Homes Tour, October 25th: Website
- Preston County Home Energy Savings Workshop, Oct 27th, Terra Alta
- Preston County Home Energy Savings Workshop, Oct 29th, Arthurdale
- Appalachian / Wheeling Power Rate Increase PSC Public Hearing, Nov 6th, Princeton, Background
- Appalachian / Wheeling Power Rate Increase PSC Public Hearing, Nov 13th, Huntington, Background
- Appalachian / Wheeling Power Rate Increase PSC Public Hearing, Nov 20th, Wheeling, Background
- Appalachian / Wheeling Power Rate Increase PSC Public Hearing, Jan 12th, Charleston, Background
Energy Efficiency Focused Facebook Pages to Follow: